Monday, November 9, 2009

Shopping Manifesto



I have a confession to make. I bought a pullover hoodie on Saturday and I'm pretty sure I haven't taken it off since. It's just so comfortable and the weather is warm enough that I don't even need a jacket [although it does look pretty sweet with a blazer].
I vow not to have too much shame in it. It is only a sweater. If it were a shirt on the other hand, that would be kind of gross.

It brings me great delight to buy something that I literally fall in love with. I admit that I sometimes buy clothes on impulse and they gather dust in my closet. And now that I'm a poor university student, I really can't go out and buy things because I may find a use for it. So I'm amassing a personal shopping manifesto [I love that word].

1. Texture is important, and the softer the better.
Polyester can go burn in textile hell for all I care. I want clothes that feel amazing to my touch and as an extension other people's touch. *winkity wink wink*

2. If you're not sure, try and wait 24 hours.
This doesn't work so well if you're in another city, but
I think it's a good tip. If you're still thinking about it the next day, it may be a keeper.

3. Always try it on.
Well duh. But I have been known to buy things because I'm too impatient for the changing room. *sigh*

4. Try and consider it in Cost Per Wear [CPW]
Nubby Twiglet explains this concept very well. Basically look at your clothes like an investment. The more you wear it, the more you get your money's worth out of it. If you buy a 100 dollar jacket and only wear it once, you wasted a 100 dollars. If you were it 100 times, that's a dollar CPW. This also gives me the incentive to try and wear what is in my closet before going out and buying new clothes.

5. Trends are rarely timeless.
Sure sometimes they get recycled but they hardly ever last. This whole neon , 80s revival is really getting on my nerves. Okay, that is my personal opinion, but I want to invest in clothes. It's the whole falling in love with things. I'm a serial clothes monogamist and trends are like flings. Fun in the moment, but ultimately doesn't last. I mean remember trucker hats?! I rest my case.
Credit: Unknown

6. Know your colours.
I don't follow that "you're a warm autumn" stuff, because I don't really understand how it works. I got three different answers based on the colour of my hair, eyes and skin. So I try and base it off of what I like and don't like personally. I've been told all my life that I look good in any colour, which is a lovely compliment, but I know not many girls have such a blessing. So be aware of what you know doesn't suit you and steer clear. And then have certain colours in mind you want to try. Right now I'm really digging midnight blue, burgundy, eggplant, mauve, cream and smoky gray. So I look for stuff that's muted and pale. Although I won't turn down an eye-catching red either. It's easy to become overwhelmed otherwise when it just seems like endless choices.

7. Sales and bargains are fun, but make sure you're not buying it because "you'll be saving money"
These are the traps where you justify spending the money because it's so cheap. I fall for it too, I understand. "Oh it's only 20 dollars marked down from 70. What a deal!" This is when you have to ask yourself: are you buying it in the hopes you'll find an excuse to wear it? Will you actually wear it? Are there other things you could spend this money on? Think of all the money you spent on impulse buys that you never wear. Instead of having all those little things you don't like you could have one great expensive item like a jacket, bag or pair of shoes that you love. Again an investment. I'm terrible with this, I admit, but I'm going to try and research good stuff to save for, and not shop when I'm bored.

8. Do your research if you can.
There are necessities like boots and coats that are on the expensive side. If there's something you need, go online and do your research. That way you can take your time with the endless options at your finger tips. You can compare prices and styles and find something that's perfect for you, rather than buying the first thing that fits in a store so that you can be done with it.

Having this all written down now is helpful. It gives me an excuse to stick with it. Hopefully it will cause me less stress and keep me out of certain debt.

With love and debit cards
Cathryn

1 comment:

  1. Great tips :)im also a serial impulse shopper but have been trying to curbed my habit.

    Http://ellainspired.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete