Tuesday, March 1, 2011

No one cares about your stupid diet!

Credit: Unknown

Here are some choice things I've heard from girls around me.

"I have to go to the gym, I've been eating obese food all week"

"I'm not eating carbs anymore/I've had my carb for the day"

"He wants to drink full calorie pop!"

Not to mention their full run-down of every thing they ate during the day or description [down to the minute] of what they were going to do at the gym, whining about needing to exercise before promptly flip-flopping about whether or not to go work-out [then declaring it was awful, because their iPod died halfway]. As well as the ever annoying struggle of whether or not to have an indulgence.

I'm tired of this self-loathing bullshit, but I truly hate it when it's the only topic of conversation. It's one thing to adopt a healthier lifestyle, but nobody else cares.

I do not care about the healthy new recipe you're going to try. I do not give a shit about the latest exercise craze. I don't give a fuck about your cleanse. I. DON'T. CARE.

And frankly, people seem stupid for talking about it. If a conversation turned to how great certain foods are for your health, my eyes are going to glaze over eventually, because it's boring.

Non-stop chatter between women about their diets promotes unhealthy body image and eating habits. "Oh no, Molly stopped eating chocolate, maybe I should too." "Heather stopped eating meat, I could never do something like that". Those are all personal choices for each person and if that's not your specific bag, then you don't have to buy it. People just can't believe it.

You tell someone they look awesome, and they say they can't fit in their jeans. You buy a slice of pizza, and a friend says they wished they had your high metabolism. If they lose ten pounds, they're a better person. To be fair this is the culture we live in that equates weight with health. If you're not eating a salad for lunch you're a bad person. That's what it feels like. But I don't really care. You can't judge me because I like grilled cheese and I can't afford organic peanut butter and almond milk. That's my business.

So "Riots, not diets", because that's far more interesting the rabbit food you indulge in.

-Cathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment