Friday, April 2, 2010

Badass Music



I admit, I'm rather shy and quiet. I am content to hide in a corner with a friend then mingle or put myself out there. A part of this, I think, was that I wasn't really confident. I wasn't so debilitatingly introverted that I couldn't make friends, and once I made friends I'd become more outgoing, I just didn't start out that way.

Now there's nothing wrong with being quiet. In fact, it can add a bit of mystery to you, and I'd rather stay a little shy than throw myself into the other extreme and appear obnoxious, which is something I fear.

When I took a semester off of school, after my victory lap and before university, I worked at a grocery store, which involved taking public transit. So I started to develop a "Walking" playlist [because I make playlists for every conceivable event. Soundtrack to my life]. After awhile I realized that the songs would always put me in a good mood, because they just pumped me up as I walked to them.

Then I bought some aviator sunglasses and everything changed. Whenever I put them on and walked to work, I felt badass. I held my head up higher, straightened my back and walked like I owned the place. And once I noticed that, I made an effort to do it every time. As a result, I felt invincible.
So homework is for you to create a playlist with songs that make you feel good and pump you up. It can be whatever you like as long as it puts a smile on your face. My personal favourites include:

"Operate" - Peaches [Anything by Peaches is awesome for this]
"Kool Thing" - Sonic Youth
"22" - Magneta Lane
"Walking With A Ghost" - The White Stripes
"Chains of Love" - The Dirtbombs
"Dirge" - Death in Vegas
"Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio
"Cannonball" - The Breeders

[It should be noted that the best songs for this, are heavy on the guitar riffs, drums and bass, or ones that are kind of slow and sexy do the trick too. If you're having a hard time, think of movies with badass soundtracks. What plays during the fight scenes in Kill Bill or Charlie's Angels? And you can go from there.]

And the list goes on and on [seriously, I have 60 songs on this list and growing].

Next, get some sunglasses. They can be aviators if that's what you so choose, but it's more important that you like the way you look in them. Being self-conscious is not the point of this assignment.

Put on an outfit you feel good in, go out and walk around. Have this playlist going every time you're out and about. And if you do this, let me know how it goes. I want to hear about it.

What would be on our badass playlist?

With love and heavy beats
Cathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment