Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Valentine's Day already?!

I understand that Valentine's Day paraphernalia starts coming out at the beginning of January. It's just accepted, like how Christmas starts November 1. But the only day specifically celebrated for love is still two weeks after February 1, people don't need to be discussing their plans until at least then.

I'm ambivalent about this day. I'm sure the majority of people are, in fact, not expecting the kinds of gifts marketing has us believe we want to give and receive. Chocolates! Flowers! Diamonds! Diamonds!! DIAMONDS!!! It is the busiest day for restaurants for a reason.

Personally, I would be happy with a hug, a kiss and a sincere wish of a happy day. The most I'd plan is making dinner together and staying in. A big Valentine's Day gesture would just skeeze me out, but most corny, over-the-top gestures skeeze me out. So maybe I'm just a weirdo.

Nonetheless, I recognize the positives of having a holiday celebrating love in the middle of winter. I would legitimately rather have this than waiting a couple more months for warmer weather. It breaks up the mind numbing monotony, for which you cannot argue.

For now, I have no plans, and I don't care. I don't have anything even remotely resembling a boyfriend so it kind of takes the pressure off. Last year, Valentine's Day, for me, started in a strip club and ended up with a guy friend of mine sleeping in my bed, more out of laziness than romance. Hopefully this year lives up to that hilarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment