Friday, January 15, 2010

Notes on self-esteem

Credit: Unknown

My heart reaches out when I hear stories like Heidi Montag. Stories about people who feel so deeply unattractive and ashamed of their bodies that they resort to drastic diets and surgeries to feel better about themselves.

I think everyone experiences some unhappiness with their bodies and features at some point in their life. But getting plastic surgery is sort of this demented notion that you'll become "your best you" as if having your chin reduced and your cheeks and lips puffed out will result in instant confidence. Only you have the power to become the person you want to be.

These insecurities are holding us back. "Oh that guy isn't going to like me, he'll be too distracted by my massive schnoz to notice me." Well that gets you nowhere. You've psyched yourself out. Getting a nose job won't necessarily change that mindset. It just adds a level of artificiality. Plus I guarantee most people aren't fixating on your perceived flaws as much you are. And you shouldn't change yourself to please a guy, because that won't make you happy.

Even the women you might deem as the epitome of attractiveness feel imperfect sometimes. But that doesn't hinder them, and it shouldn't hinder you.

With love and affirmations
Cathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment