Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Remember Me as a Time of Day


My roommates and I have been on a Friday Night Lights kick. We pretty much just powered through the first season. I was never one for football in high school, even though my high school was one of the best in Ontario. We'd often get let out early to go out to games and one time my friend, Emily, and I stayed for about five minutes before we left to go to Tim Hortons. Some of the players could also be kind of jerks sometimes, so I wasn't wholly invested in it.

Friday Night Lights however is kind of excellent in making the game exciting to watch. The characters are so realistically depicted and it's shot with a documentary-like feel with shaky cameras that go in and out of focus. You also can't beat a relationship like the one depicted between Coach Taylor and his wife, Tami. One of my favourite moments is when their daughter, Julie, comes home after a rough night and tells her parents they're the best in the world. Her dad gets a self-congratulatory smile on his face, while her mom knows that something did not go right. It was subtle, and funny.
Now, I seem to be in a different spot then where I planned. Thanks to this show, I've found this amazing band, Explosions in the Sky. They're an experimental rock band, which sounds weird, but they perform really affecting music that can really raise your spirits, or mellow you out depending on what you need.

Unfortunately embedding has been disabled, but here is a link to a video that combines both Friday Night Lights and Explosions in the Sky. If it doesn't make you feel something, you have no heart.

With love and football
Cathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment